This page was last updated on January 10, 2019.
All information about our 2019 mission trip to the Dominican Republic will be placed on this planning page just as soon as it is avalilable. Contact information for the team leaders: Julia Ariail, (229) 563-0074, email@example.com; Julius Ariail, (229) 563-0209, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to receive email messages with updates about the Dominican Republic mission program at Christ Church, please sign up here and check the “Dominican Republic Mission Trips” box. For an overview of this mission program, click here. For scanned copies of the thank-you notes received from the students in the K-8 Episcopal school in El Pedregal who received scholarship assistance from us for the 2017-2018 academic year, click here.
Team roster as of 10 a.m. on January 10, 2019 (firm commitment):
1. Julia Ariail, Valdosta GA
2. Julius Ariail, Valdosta GA
3. Tal Brown, Dothan AL
4. Tammy Brown, Dothan AL
5. Bonnie Hanson, Valdosta GA
6. Caroline Hiers, Thomasville GA
7. Meg Hiers, Marietta GA
8. Phyllis Hiers, Valdosta GA
9. Steph Johnson, Valdosta GA
10. Bella Pozo, Thomasville GA
11. Mary Jeannette Pringle, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
12. Fred Richter, Statesboro GA
13. Paul Stevenson, Valdosta GA
14. Emily Taylor, Valdosta GA
15. Casey Wesselman, Myrtle Beach SC
16. William Whatley, Statesboro GA
The team is limited to 18 missioners because of the size of the in-country chartered minibus transportation we will be using.
After considering all of the preferences expressed for the 2019 mission trip schedule, we have decided that the trip will be from Monday, June 17, to Monday, June 24. We know that this was not everyone’s choice, and we appreciate all of the input that led to this decision. These dates were also those requested by Padre Canela at the Campamento. On October 11, those dates were approved by the DR diocesan office.
The decision on flights for the 2019 trip has been made. All missioners will have the choice of starting the trip either at the Valdosta airport or at the Atlanta airport on Monday, June 17. All will fly back to Atlanta on June 24, where missioners can decide on their own to leave the trip in Atlanta or to fly on to Valdosta that same night.
Here are the designated flight numbers and times:
Monday, June 17
Delta 5034 VLD 6:15 a.m. –> ATL 7:25 a.m.
Delta 686 ATL 9:50 a.m. –> SDQ 1:16 p.m.
Monday, June 24
Delta 759 SDQ 1:45 p.m. –> ATL 5:21 p.m.
Delta 3420 ATL 9:10 p.m. –> VLD 10:15 p.m.
As of 10 a.m. on January 10, the cost of these flights from and back to Valdosta was $1,474.23. The cost of the flights from and back to Atlanta was $943.13.
We will not be purchasing a group ticket for this trip.
We are happy to report that we had a good meeting on October 24 with Padre Ramón Canela and his wife, Ivelisse Espinal, at the Campamento in El Pedregal, and that we discussed this preliminary list of projects for our 2019 mission trip:
* Paint murals of animals and trees in the second kindergarten classroom. (We did the first classroom last year).
* Construct a concrete block bedroom for a villager, Pirlulu, replacing an existing plywood structure on the side of a house. Pirlulu is Leidy’s cousin and Elena’s grandson, and our team has supported his education in a special needs school for many years.
* Install oscillating wall fans in the second-floor main dormitory rooms. We might elect to fund these in advance and have them installed by the time we arrive. The dining hall already has oscillating fans along the walls.
* Conduct sewing classes.
* Conduct embroidery thread bracelet classes for the teenagers.
* Conduct a veterinary clinic.
* Conduct some form of Vacation Bible School or environmental studies classes for the children. The scope and topic of these classes is to be determined later.
During the time we will be at the Campamento, the teachers will still be on post-planning duty but the children will be out of classes. The teachers will be available to help us with the VBS and other activities as needed.
If you are interested in joining the 2019 team, please contact us to discuss your interest and your possible role on the team. Once you receive an OK to join from us, then send a $100 deposit made payable to Christ Episcopal Church with “DR Mission” in the memo line to the church (see address below). Then proceed to choose your departure city and purchase your flight tickets. Send copy of the airline confirmation to email@example.com . The team will have a maximum of 18 members. An additional trip fee of approximately $650 will be due sometime in the spring of 2019. This money will pay for our room and board while at the Campamento, the costs of in-country transportation, supplies for our projects, and an overnight hotel stay in Santo Domingo on June 23.
All missioners will have the choice of starting the trip either at the Valdosta airport or at the Atlanta airport on Monday, June 17. All will fly back to Atlanta on June 24, where missioners can decide on their own to leave the trip in Atlanta or to fly on to Valdosta that same night.
Email messages about the 2019 trip:
January 10, 2019: 16 missioners (link active after 11 a.m. 01/10)
January 3, 2019: 16 missioners + 2 in discernment
December 27, 2018: Christmas Greeting
December 20, 2018: Successul fundraiser
December 13, 2018: Scholarship thank-you notes are in!
December 6, 2018: Fundraisers – silver crosses and books
November 29, 2018: Silver and Larimar crosses as fundraisers
November 21, 2018: Team slots are filling up
November 15, 2018: Time to join the team
November 7, 2018: J&J away
November 1, 2018: List of projects and how to join the team
October 18, 2018: Decisions on flights
October 11, 2018: No flight decisions yet
October 4, 2018: June 17-24, 2018
September 27, 2918: Two date options
September 19, 2018: Planning meeting on September 23, 2018